Submit events, art news and opportunities you would like Charlotte Arts to promote. Learn more.
2020 National Art Exhibition Winners
Winners of The National Art Exhibition (NAE) were announced at an Awards Reception Thursday, February 13 at the Visual Arts Center of Punta Gorda. Judge Dawn Emerson presented awards and shared her remarks about why she selected each winning entry. Many of the award recipients came from Southwest Florida and surrounding areas and attended the event with family and friends. Don’t miss this prize-winning art ensemble, on display February 7 – March 25 at the Visual Arts Center.
2020 National Art Exhibition Winners:
- MERIT AWARD: “Red Coat” by Rebecca Witter of Englewood, FL
- MERIT AWARD: “The Chalk Artist” by Kathy Simon-McDonald of Bradenton, FL
- MERIT AWARD: “Harmony” by Oscar Vargas of Deerfield Beach, FL
- MERIT AWARD: “Marabou 2” by Lee Andre of Boynton Beach, FL
- MERIT AWARD: “One Step Forward” by Cheryl Fausel of Cape Coral, FL
- EXCELLENCE AWARD: “Local Catch” by Donna Nyzio of Beaufort, NC
- EXCELLENCE AWARD: “L’il Fred” by Gwenneth Barth-White of Placida, FL
- EXCELLENCE AWARD: “Reawakening” by Elizabeth Weiss of New Orleans, LA
- BOWLES AWARD FOR PORTRAIT EXCELLENCE: “Potlatch” by Claudia Selene of Ypsilanti, MI
- AWARD FOR ABSTRACT EXCELLENCE: “Walls and Windows” by Daniel Remmel of North Palm Beach, FL
- THIRD PLACE: “Yin and Yang” by Sandra Kuck of Boca Raton, FL
- SECOND PLACE: “Reflections I” by Gerard Huber of Dallas, TX
- FIRST PLACE: “No New Friends” by Corinne Forrester of Daytona Beach, FL
The NAE is free to view during regular hours, Monday and Friday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 10:00 am – 7:00 pm, Saturday: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. The Visual Arts Center will also be open the following Sundays from 10:00am – 2:00pm: February 23, March 1, March 8, and March 15.
Guided Docent Tours will happen on the following dates at 1:00pm:
- February 18
- February 29
- March 3
- March 13
Poetry Night March 4, 7:00pm
Join us for an evening of art and poetry! This free event will feature readings of selected poems inspired by NAE paintings.